Monday 13 February 2012

Winford to Dundry via Dundry Lane

Start: In the centre of Winford GR540652    Finish: In Dundry village GR553665
Horizontal distance: 2.4km    Height gain: 120m

The narrow lane up to Dundry is clearly sign-posted from the 6 way junction in the middle of Winford so you can press on knowing that this narrow little road really is the right way!

There seemed to me to be a bit of a climb (brief) near the bottom which doesn't show up on the cross section profile, but in the main the first kilometre out of Winford is pretty easy. Enjoy the tranquility of open farmland - it's hard to believe that you're only a couple of miles from the edge of Bristol. I was visited by a Buzzard. Actually that's not quite true, the Buzzard swept across the front of me and visited something in the field at the side of the road - Buzzard lunch.
Having not been selected from the menu I then got to meet the most courteous of farmers. Seeing me coming up the hill he actually pulled his Land Rover right against (into) the hedge in order to let me get past. A farming cyclist?
If you've looked at this climb on the map you'll have seen the gradient arrow. A house on the right marks the start of the serious ascent which, whilst only averaging 1:10 has a couple of far steeper sections with a 100m or so of something between 1:5 and 1:6 (judged by what I had to do to get up it - i.e. lowest gear and up out of the saddle for a quick burst.
When you can see the radio mast on your left you're up bar for the convex bit at the top. It was short, it was steep and it was so much more pleasant than the climb up to Bristol airport on the A38 that more or less immediately preceded it.


Rating: A really nice little climb. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi David.
    Love the blog. I know a few of the climbs from my usual stomping grounds between Bedminster and Winscombe. Keen to try a few more that you have blogged, so thanks.
    I did this one Sunday just gone. The 3rd quarter is hard.... Strava has a couple of hundred metres between 11% and 14%. Discovered I was was missing my lowest gears as I approached this section! A mixed experience... no choice but to increase my speed but also my pain levels! I took Downs Road up to the radio mast as my interpretation of the summit.
    I often do this hill from the other side where there are 3 ways up. (1) Dundry Lane from the A38 [3km @ 6%]. (2) Bishopsworth -> Highridge Road [4km @ 5%]. Strava has both these as (probably very borderline) category 3 and they share the last km or so. And (3) Broadoak Hill [1.2 km @ 10%!], Strava has category 4.

    ReplyDelete