Saturday 18 August 2012

Ebbor Lane and Deerleap

Start:  On the A371 at Easton GR509477         Finish: GR523497
Height Gain:      230m        Horizontal Distance:       3.8km          Average Gradient: 6.05%
Category: 3

When I looked at the stats for this climb and realised it sat just about on top of the points for the Llanberis Pass which I did last weekend I went back and re-checked. I was right though, the height gain and length of this route are just about exactly the same as that famous test in North Wales. So, this was going to be fairly tough - or perhaps doing the Pass into a 20mph head wind had made it seem that extra bit difficult..?


I came in across the moor from Westhay car park - a rough section of road that I don't recommend, even though it does an excellent line in wildlife. As the map above shows, the climb starts with an easy section up out of Easton with the tough starting after the left turn onto Deerleap.


Perhaps it was that few days of Welsh training - the bottom 80m of ascent seemed to die very easily but I knew that I was in for that tough section. It means it. As the cross-section shows, there's a steep section just after the flat to the curve in the road, the OS map shows a single arrow on this part. My map analysis has one 150m section with a rise of 25m - neatly 1 in 6 (or 17% if you prefer) in this bit. It's not 'out-of-the-saddle' territory, but definitely takes effort.


Mind you, it's definitely worth it as the views down to the Somerset Levels are superb looking down to your left and, by the time you've cleared the woodland, that's quite a long way down. There's a false summit at the end of the wooded section but after a very short dip the road rises again up one last steepish rise and then a gradual incline to the summit where you can keep on cruising along the decent quality tarmac. Keep going for just over a km; there's a pub on the corner with the B road though, if you're going to do the excellent descent of Bristol Hill into Wells, it's probably best if you don't stop.

Summary: Thoroughly enjoyed this one - one of the better tests in the area. Thanks to the guy I met half way up who threatened to "kill that Mendip Road Bike Climbs bloke if I can catch him". I was tempted to comment that the catch wasn't about to be made - I was pedalling up the hill, he was stopped at the side. So - apologies to any of you who are trying to do all 25 with me.

DP

No comments:

Post a Comment